Count Mellin, the author of this work, was one of the members of „Livländische Gemeinnützige und Ökonomische Sozietät“ (working translation: Livonian Common Weal and Economic Society; an official English language version of the denomination does not exist), founded 1792 in Riga and transferred at the beginning of 19th century to Doerpt/Dorpat/Tartu/Jurjev, the University town of Livonia, where this institution operated until 1940.
The name „Stiftung Livlaendische Gemeinnuetzige“ is derived from that of the Society, one of the biggest European academic bodies, erected at the times of “enlightenment”.
The originals are kept at the Estonian Historic Archive (Ajalooarhiiv) at Tartu. The work has been formated to DIN A3 by one of the former collaborators of the editorial house “Regio'” at Tartu, at the end of past century. The editorial house has been informed of its non-commercial use; no adversary statements have been made.
The maps are not just important as cultural monuments of past times. They are still valid because of their precision and also because of the mentioning of the localities, both in German language and in the respective rural conversation languages (formerly called “peasants languages”).
This proves that the localities had, side-by-side, names in German, Estonian, Latvian, Liivi or Swedish, following the ethnic circumstances of the users.
This habit remained until the appearance of the occupation powers, German and Russian, at the mid of past century which caused the rejection of the German language denominations.